Thursday, September 11, 2008

Michael Jackson Had It Right

Michael Jackson turned 50 this year - a milestone many of us have already passed. I admit, I've tended to think of Jackson more as "Wacko Jacko" recently than as someone who changed the world, albeit in his own small sphere.

Maybe because of the milestone birthday, or simply the youngsters' desire to revitalize some of my generation's "oldies," but Michael Jackson's music has become popular again.

Twice this summer I saw dance performances set to his song, "Man in the Mirror," and it's gotten stuck in my head. The message in this Michael Jackson song got it exactly right:

If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change.
In my small corner of the world, I'm working hard to make the world a better place for frail, dependent elders. I remind myself often that making the world a better place starts with what I do, every single day.

As a colleague and I were discussing yesterday, if we want to change the world of senior care, we've got to change the way we train the folks who actually deliver the hands' on care.

So today, join me in looking at the person in the mirror and making a decision to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment